Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Just bought my first gas pump - a Gulf gas pump from the 60's. Found it an an estate auction and couldn't resist. I have restored several Gilbarco 900's back in the day with my father, but that is it. I am sure this is the first of many to come smile.

It is in excellent shape with very little to no rust and the porcelain parts that are still there are near perfect. All of the internals are there, but it is missing several outer panels. The area where the name badges normally are located are missing (beside nozzle). It would appear as they were never there as there are no witness marks and the there are no signs of the holes ever being being threaded. They must have been removed early on in life if anything.

From doing some initial research, it appears to be one of the following:
Wayne 1
Southwest Model 30, 51-1, 62-1, 1
Erie 158 or 129-22
Bennett 748
Dayton 1420

I have ruled out a couple of the above based on the nozzle area characteristics, bolt hole locations, etc. Any easy way to tell which one I have without the ID tag?

If anyone has any parts or pieces for this they are looking to sell, by all means let me know! Looking to complete the assembly. Thanks!!

Pump Day 1.jpg Pump Day 1 Side.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Here are some pictures of your Wayne 1, on my website. http://petrolianacollectibles.com/wayne%201.htm

I have literature on the Southwest 30, but I never go a chance to put it on the site.

The Erie info is at: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/erie%20155.htm

The Bennett 748 info is at: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/bennett%20748.htm

The Dayton 1420 is at: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/dayton%201400.htm

All are shown in my Gas Pump Identification book that is available at: www.gaspumpbible.com

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hello Craig,
Welcome to Oldgas! I like these pumps, especially the stainless steel tops. When polished they really make the pump pop. I just picked up this one last year on my trip road from California to Iowa. Out here in California we do not see these so I was thrilled to find one for my collection. I attend a lot of gas swap meets so if I see any parts for yours I will get the sellers contact info for you. Best of luck with the restoration and please post pictures.

Rob

27437A12-434F-4C75-B95A-18A7E719129C.jpeg 38AA8D31-238A-4860-8D44-329B89B42E19.jpeg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I have a parts pump like the first one pictured forsale, pm me your number & I’ll txt u pics

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I just posted it in the forsale forum with pics.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just restored one of these. They are fun, easy restorations. There were a few companies who made these pumps (and similar ones) for the Gulf Oil Company. Yours has the textured metal sides like mine did. Mine was a Rapidayton 1420. However, it looks like you have 4 holes where the tag went. Yours is probably a Southwest, they had square tags. The nozzle rest on a Rapidayton and a Southwest was also the on/off lever (I could be wrong, but I believe a Wayne 1 had a separate nozzle rest and a large on/off lever.)

The first three pics are of my Rapidayton, with an oval ID tag. The last pic (the tiny pic), is a picture of a Southwest, that I found on-line, showing the square tag.

Have fun with it,
-Steve

IMG_1635 (2).JPG IMG_1632 (2).JPG IMG_1589.JPG goc.JPG
Last edited by Speedracer; Thu Jan 16 2020 01:30 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
Mine is missing one chrome edge or corner piece that goes the length up and down. Do they make those anywhere.

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks everyone!

Speedracer - that pump is stunning! That is what I will target for my finished pump. Out of curiousity, what nozzle is that?

cggas - looks like I am too slow! I would have taken all of those parts off your hands. Based on your price.. looks like I got a great deal.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by svtforme
Speedracer - that pump is stunning! That is what I will target for my finished pump. Out of curiousity, what nozzle is that?

Thank you for the compliment. The nozzle is just a Buckeye nozzle I had laying around. The Buckeye nozzle is probably too old for that year of pump.

Here’s a link with a couple more pictures from when I sold it:

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=127480&Number=736981#Post736981

Last edited by Speedracer; Thu Jan 16 2020 01:36 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved