Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
After some input from members and moderators, it has been decided to drop the display of a member's Total Posts from the sidebar of each topic post. This has been a point of contention that distracts from the community's real focus of sharing info, pics, buy/sell and generally help one another.

The total number of posts for each member is still shown on each member's Profile. Member Profiles are only visible to registered members who are logged in. That is to protect the member's info & email address from spam abusers.

Our software "bad word" filter has been adjusted to remove alternate spellings of some unacceptable words. It is not a perfect solution. In the future, members who post unacceptable words by using clever mis-spellings, phonics or look-alike characters will be considered as violators the Membership Guidelines.

Those who use words, pictures, video or links to taunt others into a conflict will be considered as "throwing the first punch."

Rather than react to a conflict with a reply that includes unacceptable content, members are advised to use the "Notify" button on each post to tell a moderator about the questionable behavior.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Support Oldgas.com with bids from here
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds good to me Jim!

I think suspensions need to be handed out for actions. I don't like reading it anymore than the next guy.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I was oblivious to the post count anyway. It's hard to imagine why it would matter to anyone.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Here I thought you guys were all just joking around, a fun loving bunch. Who got tarred and feathered????

Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Jokes are OK as long as someone isn't attacked as the punchline. Fun between friends, but not fun between folks who are definitely not friends.

The moderators have had to warn about, remove or edit more in recent weeks than all the prior year. If more is coming, suspensions should be expected.

In order to maintain an enjoyable community, we have to strive for mutual respect and deal with those who violate the Membership Agreement.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Good idea smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Online Content
Just for the record, there are no supreme members here, we are all on the same playing field. Please treat other members the way you would treat your mother (hopefully). The rules apply to everybody period.

Like stated above, there is nothing wrong with joking around. Name calling and harassing of other members and other people is not acceptable behavior.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Ryan does that mean I have to hug you & give you a kiss next time I see you LOL laugh Please dont wait for it wink grin

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SORRY BRAD BUT THAT POST HAS GOT TO BE NOTIFIED! wink

TWO THUMBS UP ON THE REVIEW OF THE MEMBERSHIP AGREEMENT.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Simple words cannot express my gratitude for what you just did.You just stopped on a national level what on a local level has made me essentially leave the hobby.I'll watch,hope for the best,and give it more thought.Thank you.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cool! I like it.

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A quick question...curious as to how everyone acquires their member status....Veteran member, Petro Enthusiast, Active member. Moderator, Showcase Feature Host is self explanitory...thx mm

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Good move..Some of the post in the past few weeks have definately made it obvious who doesn't like who...It didn't bother me personally, but there are a lot of good, helpfull people on this board that I'd hate to see turned off this site because of what has been taking place.

Colin Latreille
Always looking for Quality Canadian Oil & Gas & Ford Signs
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: minuteman
A quick question...curious as to how everyone acquires their member status....Veteran member, Petro Enthusiast, Active member. Moderator, Showcase Feature Host is self explanitory...thx mm

Good Question!
Veteran member= 1000+ posts, Petro Enthusiast= 100+ posts, Active member= 10+ posts, member= 9 or fewer posts.

Old Iron,
Thanks for the comments. I know I can never get a perfect balance of free speech and 100% considerate, respectful behavior. It could get messy at times, but we promise to try hard and not be overbearing on the 99% of mainstream members.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Oldgas
After some input from members and moderators, it has been decided to drop the display of a member's Total Posts from the sidebar of each topic post.

That some of the best news I've heard. Thanks Jim.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Corrections and agreeing to disagree work for me on this site as they lead to some interesting insights, opinions and great stories. Nastiness does not.

Nicole
Choosing her adjectives carefully... : ) : o : )

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think some of these guys have nothing better to do than to see how many numbers they can have next to their name.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree , I love to ask questions and get different opinions I do not want to know why A does not like what B said.Thanks for more guidelines.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Thanks for stepping in on all this. It seems a few have lost their focus as to what this site/hobby is about.

Ed
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Good fair idea. Good to see that someone is looking out for everyone.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim, I'm here every day as I can, sometims a lot . If I have a comment or I can enlighten someone , fine . Many times as in pricing, I stay away from this as values fluctuate wayyyy too much and since I'm on dissability , my ability to go to most shows excedes my tiny bank account . Hey, the days of traveling several states away for a one or two day show for me are completely over for me .

This board at least provides me a way to see whats in the hobby. Many times , fellow members have been kind enough to provide me with pictures of actual pieces as I do models of petrolina . So what do you now refer to me as , a Model petoholic ?

Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Fantastic move, Jim. Glad to see it happen...

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Another site I am active on had a conversation about post count, The poster was bragging about his post count in such a short amount of time. Here is 1 guys comment I Loved the response the Honda site did.
It's quality, not quantity that counts.

I've been on so many forums for the past 10 years and have watched as most of them have either hidden post count or made post count rules to keep from it becoming a competition.

Years ago back on honda-tech.com if you posted a new thread (or anywhere in another thread) boasting about your post count it would immediately be reset to zero, it was so great to see someone post a thread saying "MY 1000th POST!" and you could click in there and see "0" under his name, followed by his #1 post saying "What happened?" haha

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I don't know how many posts I have but I've got about a hundred feet of fence out behind the barn. Thanks to Jim and the moderators. ;;;;;;;;Ron

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Good move Jim. Thanks,to your entire crew. Norm

Norm Huff
You guys have a great forum here, and I'm glad I finally joined. Been stopping by for years, but just now bought my first pump, and restoring it, so I figured it would be helpfull to join the discussion.

Thanks!

Aaron

T
T
Ya know... I really have to re-think my membership in this OldGas group. I agreed a year ago that posting the number of member posts to the left should be dropped, as way too many folks used it as a self proclaimed badge of "king of the forum". Someone asked above "who got tarred and feathered - thought you all were just a bunch of fun-loving guys". Well, for the umteenth time, I feel like I just got tarred and feathered (again) in the General Questions forum for asking a simple straight forward question. So many of the posts I (and others) place are answered with put downs, ridicule, "whats-wrong-with-yous" and in general made to feel like some ignorant newbie collector. Quite frankly I'm tired of it and wonder what happened to good old fashioned pleasantness, helpfulness, and positive encouragement. People who start their replies with "No offence but you new collectors do realize" and then go on to try to convince others that they're top expert in the Petroliana collecting hobby just smacks to me of school yard bully syndrome. It really is too bad that some just can’t help but put everyone else down in a vain attempt to boost their own lousy self esteem.
Again, I have to wonder is there anyone in this entire forum who understands courteousness and simple manners? Someone who is in it just for nothing more than having fun and wanting to help others?
Jim, I do applaud you as the moderator, but don't envy you as the one who has to police the thing.
Nuff said... I'm signing off.

Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
No question about it, when someone starts their comments with "No offense, but..." or "Don't take this the wrong way, but..." they should know that the next thing they say is probably insulting to someone. I think most members here are considerate and respectful of others, but a few are not. The moderators try to catch gross violations of civility and edit or delete them. When a member clicks on the "Notify" button in a post, we look at it especially close.

Sad to say, but online manners are often not what they should be. Some folks think they can type in a disrespectful way online that could get them punched in a face-to-face conversation. A good example is the discussion of politics. We haven't allowed that here for years, but on other forums and news media, it seems insults are the normal way of expressing a political opinion.

Sorry you felt like you were bullied. A few members do come off way too harsh with too little thought of how their words could hurt. When you see that kind of thing, click on the "Notify" button in that post and tell the moderators how you feel about it.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
T
T
Thanks Jim! Much appreciated!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I truly am sorry, that I hurt your feelings..... I was hoping to help you gain a little knowledge.... I may have done it clumsily but I wasn't trying to ridicule or embarrass anyone....

As to my knowledge, in June of this year I will have 50 years in this hobby.... So just maybe I do have a little more knowledge than some? Including you?

As to "courteousness and simple manners", hard to believe you would "call me out" and then write as disrespectful post as this one.. But, I guess for you being courteous and respectful is a one-way street? You deserve them, but don't have to give them in return?

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
T
T
Hmmm.... Being a new guy here... I had no idea ya'll were potentially venomous??? I have not experienced that yet! I do, however, have a foul mouth. Wasn't raised that way, probably comes from hanging out with the rotten old bastards that frequent my life! I have to agree about the balance between free speech and political correctness... I struggle to keep my speech from to freely becoming politically and socially correctable, I mean, who want's to have to much correctability???
(I'm not to sure what I just said. Maybe I should have checked in here before all the beers with Los Batardos Rottons...hehehe.)

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wow... I don't check in for a while and look what happens. Seriously, if the state of things requires this, then let it happen. It's sad when a few who will not follow the rules affect all of us.

Robert Usrey
U
U
Although i don't participate often,i love this site. I have gained a lot of information and knowledge here. I think it might be helpful, if before posting, people would sit back and read their post like it was coming to them from someone else. without the smile,personality,and voice inflections of personal contact,words in print can seem to take on a different meaning than intended. Thanks, dave.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Oldgas
Jokes are OK as long as someone isn't attacked as the punchline. Fun between friends, but not fun between folks who are definitely not friends.

The moderators have had to warn about, remove or edit more in recent weeks than all the prior year. If more is coming, suspensions should be expected.

In order to maintain an enjoyable community, we have to strive for mutual respect and deal with those who violate the Membership Agreement.

Not sure why anyone gets mad . Its a hobby guys , a fun thing , a stress reliever . Life is short on earth , enjoy every moment .

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
would like to suggest that the 4-image limit per post be adjusted. (up to maybe 10)

to quote DB: "The 4 image rules were put into effect when lots still had Dial-Up services."

I dont think this really applies much anymore. and I would rather have my images hosted by OldGas so that they are available to others in the archives in the future

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Members can post more images in a reply to the topic, over and over. So there isn't a limit per topic.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved