Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
I have this Gulf sign that was used at my Grandfather's station from 1937-1947. I've seen a lot of varied opinions on the subject of restoration. I'm not looking to do any kind of restoration other than maybe bringing out the color that is left. My question is more about if the rust needs to be treated or is it ok to just leave it alone. Based on what I've read so far I'm leaning toward just giving it a wipe down with WD-40. Will the effect of WD-40 last or will it need to be reapplied. I plan on hanging this in my garage. TIA.

[Linked Image]

0818191757.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Online Cool
Veteran Member
WD-40 will need to be reapplied occasionally. You might want to just clear coat it. I have a friend that cleared a 6 foot HC Sinclair sign. It was in bad shape but the clear brought it somewhat back to life. It’s hanging on outside of shop but seems to be holding up good in the weather.

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...if you want the sign to last, keep it indoors - with some component of humidity control...I've seen painted 'indoor' signs where the paint is peeling off - like a co-ed's tan, a week after Spring Break - because of a lack of air conditioning...moisture - and rust - never sleep...WD-40 will dissipate over time, but can be reapplied as needed...I wouldn't clear a sign of any value other than sentimental, for obvious reasons...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You could also use Howard’s Feed and Wax. It will prevent further rusting and bring out the color. However, like WD-40, it will have to be re-applied from time to time. In fact anything put on an outdoor sign will have to be re-applied from time to time.

Guys have used Howard’s on porcelain signs for years, but it hasn’t been brought up in a while. It’s safe for your porcelain sign too.

Just my two cents,
-Steve

I will add one thing about WD-40, Howard’s F&W, “Sign Juice” or any other product used to enhance a sign. It does make the rust spots a little darker, so if you have a section of light-colored porcelain that has a lot of little hair-line stress cracks (like it was bent, but the porcelain didn’t come off) AND the porcelain is thin, or an area with a lot of deep scratches, it may slightly darken those areas. If the area of porcelain is smooth or just dull this shouldn’t happen. I think you will be pleased with WD or Howard’s.

1DF550FB-30C0-4443-B036-D9235F9153A7.png
Last edited by Speedracer; Wed Aug 21 2019 02:22 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here’s an example of scratches darkened on real thin porcelain. It makes the blue look a lot better, but it darkened the yellow a little bit. Overall the sign looks a lot better. (If you zoom in on the yellow and compare each picture, you can see what I’m talking about. However it’s not very noticeable from a distance, I just wanted you to be aware). It darkens it for two reasons... there could be rust/grime in the cracks and/or the porcelain is worn thin where the scratches are and blue is the underlying color.

Make sure you clean your sign and use a clean rag. This will prevent you from dragging dirt and grime into those areas.

All of this was probably way too long and technical of an answer, but just letting those know, who have never done it.

By-the-way, this sign looked like it was used as a door mat in a mud factory when I got it and the porcelain had worn and faded thin.

2033D8FB-89D9-46CA-92B5-2F75BC6D4551.jpeg 79C9188F-69B2-4EE8-ACE7-052BD9C8DEFD.jpeg
Last edited by Speedracer; Wed Aug 21 2019 02:35 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you for the replies. I plan on hanging this sign in my garage so it will not be outside. The garage is not climate controlled however. Those that use WD-40 or other products, how often do you reapply them?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

You will know when it loses it’s look it’s time to reapply.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great info, Steve!

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved